AWStats for 5-Nano
UniServer AWStats plugin for Uniform Server 5-Nano series
This plugin installs AWStats on Uniform Server Nano. AWStats is a free powerful and fully featured tool that generates advanced web, streaming, ftp or mail server statistics, graphically.
Due to UniServer's architecture change there are two versions of this plugin with and without Perl. Both plugins use AWStats (9.8) also installs password protection for online viewing.
This page describes how to install the AWStats plugin and provides information for viewing stats on-line.
There are two versions of AWAtats plugin:
This version includes V5.0_mini_perl (ActivePerl 126.96.36.1995) and is intended for users who just want to display server statistics.
It avoids the need to download and install a Perl plugin however it does restrict you to using ActivePerl version 188.8.131.525.
This version does not include Perl hence increases flexibility by allowing you to choose a specific version of Perl.
Currently there are two versions of the Perl plugin split into mini and full:
- V5.0_mini_perl ActivePerl 184.108.40.2065
- V5.0_full_perl ActivePerl 220.127.116.115
- V5.1_mini_perl ActivePerl 18.104.22.1686
- V5.1_full_perl ActivePerl 22.214.171.1246
Before proceeding to AWStats installation download and install one of the above Perl versions see Perl page for details.
Download and Install
There are two installation options as follows replace # with the version you are installing:
- Download file V5.0_AWStats_#.0.exe from Sourceforge
- Save it to folder UniServer.
- To extract files, double click on file V5.0_AWStats_#.0.exe, no need to change the path.
- If you wish to save space delete V5.0_AWStats_#.0.exe
- Download file V5.0_AWStats_#.0.zip from Sourceforge
- Save to any folder (e.g. temp1)
- Extract files, navigate to folder V5.0_AWStats_#.0
- Copy the entire contents (read_me.txt, usr, www ... etc) to Uniform Server's folder UniServer allow overwrite.
- If you wish to save space delete temp1
Folders and files
The following are added to Uniform Server
- AWStats is installed in folder UniServer\cgi-bin\awstats
- Password file .htpasswd can be found in folder UniServer\htpasswd\awstats
- Perl bin and lib are added to folder UniServer\usr (If using V5.0_AWStats_1.0)
- Folder UniServer\www is updated with folders css, icon and js containing support files for AWStats.
Whichever installation option you choose all Perl scripts must have their shebang updated to match current server location.
- Left mouse click UniTray > Mouse over Advanced and select Perl Shebang Update cgi-bin
- The above requires performing once (before starting servers) thereafter shebangs are automatically on relocating the servers.
Testing is straight forward:
- Start the servers
- Type the following into a browser <nowiki>http://localhost/cgi-bin/awstats/awstats.pl</nowiki>
If you have moved the servers remember to include the port number for example:
Use UniTray Server Status to find the Apache port number.
The plugin defaults to restricting access to localhost. This can be overridden to put AWStats online allowing you to view your server stats over the Internets. This may be a security risk hence you heve the option to password protect this information.
Default Local access only
Local access is implemented using a .htaccess file located in folder UniServer\cgi-bin\awstats
The file contains the following lines: <pre> Order Deny,Allow Deny from all Allow from 127.0.0.1 </pre> The line Allow from 127.0.0.1 restricts access to localhost only. This prevents every one on the Internet viewing your stats information. You can however view the statistics page locally.
View Stats on-line
To view your server statistics online password protect folder awstats.
Enable Password protection
The above .htaccess file contains additional lines allowing you to password protect folder awstats.
To put your stats online edit file UniServer\cgi-bin\awstats\.htaccess as follows:
Comment (add hash) these lines as shown: (Allows anyone access) <pre>
- Order Deny,Allow
- Deny from all
- Allow from 127.0.0.1
</pre> Uncomment (remove hash) these lines as shown: (Enables name/password protection) <pre> AuthName "Uniform Server - Server Access" AuthType Basic AuthUserFile /htpasswd/awstats/.htpasswd Require valid-user </pre>
Set new name and password
The default name and password is root they are compromised hence need changing as follows:
Edit file UniServer\htpasswd\awstats\.htpasswd
Default: Contains the following: <pre> root:root </pre> Change: Choose a suitable name and password and change the file as follows: <pre> new_name:new_password </pre>
To view on-line
Type the following into a browser: <nowiki>http://your_domain_name/cgi-bin/awstats/awstats.pl</nowiki>
Installing AWStats with this plugin is easy, to view your stats on-line requires minimum of changes.
The stats provided may not meet your requirements however AWStats and Apache are customisable for details check out AWStats web site.
Related information How to install AWStats on Uniform Server 3.5-Apollo